Suicidology and Sandplay
Suicidology and Sandplay
Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group
2017-18 Advanced Sandplay Seminar
Suicidology and Sandplay: A Seminar on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Suicidal Patients
2-Year Advanced Seminar
- Year One: The study of a child and an adolescent
- Year Two: The study of a parent and an adult
TRAINING DATES/TIMES, YEAR ONE:
- Saturday, January 20, 2018: 10:00am-4:00pm (Annual Birthday Party to follow)
- Saturday, February 24, 2018: 10:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday, March 24, 2018: 10:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday, April 21, 2018: 10:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday, May 19, 2018: 10:00am-3:00pm
TRAINING DATES/TIMES, YEAR TWO:
525 Fairview Avenue South, St. Paul, MN
The seminar will be led by Barbara Weller, MA, LICSW, Certified Sandplay Therapist and Teaching Member of Sandplay Therapists of America and the International Society for Sandplay Therapy. Barbara has worked as a psychotherapist in mental health settings and private practice for the past 47 years, and as a sandplay therapist since 1980. She was a founding member of the Sandplay Therapists of America and the Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group. As a Teaching Member of the International and National societies, she has taught Sandplay Therapy in the United States, Europe, and Taiwan. Recently returning to the Twin Cities from Duluth, where she lived and practiced for the past fifteen years, she has retired from her clinical practice. She currently provides individual and group consultation as well as teaching seminars in Sandplay. Consultation is also provided via Skype to practitioners who live at a distance.
OVERVIEW, YEAR ONE:
In Year One, seminar participants will work on the cases of a suicidal child and adolescent, using the clients’ artwork and sandplay images, as well as other clinical material. The participants will do an in-depth analysis of each case and image. Participants will work in small groups and present their work to the seminar as a whole. This format provides each participant with an opportunity to explore deeply the imagery, symbolism and psychological meaning of a complete sandplay therapy process. The first day of the seminar meets for six hours with a one-hour lunch break; subsequent sessions meet for five hours with a one-hour lunch break. Year Two of the course will explore two adult cases in depth.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES, YEAR ONE:
- Participant will be able to describe key factors in working with suicidal children and adolescents including developmental and family considerations.
- Participants will be able to describe multi-modal approaches in working with suicidal children and adolescents.
- Participants will be able to interpret a sandplay case from a Jungian/Kalffian framework.
- Participants will be able to discuss the Jungian infrastructure of the sandplay process and the symbols used by the clients.
- Participants will be able to discuss the importance of the therapist’s awareness of his/her own biases regarding suicide and suicidal patients.
- Participants will be able to describe legal and ethical considerations in dealing with suicidal children and adolescents.
$300.00 for 25 seminar hours
This is a two-year advanced seminar for those who have completed FUNDAMENTALS OF SANDPLAY and who have completed a significant portion of their individual sandplay process.
Limited to 18 participants