A DEEPER LOOK AT THE WIZARD OF OZ THROUGH SAND AND PLAY
The Wizard of Oz: Archetypal Themes of Indivuation
November 4, 2017 (10am-6pm)
Presenter: Dr. Gita Morena
Dr. Morena explores the power of fairy tale and imagery from Oz as a way to stimulate the imagination and activate emotional healing. She includes the author’s history and original inspiration, and retells the story as it was written with images from a variety of different illustrators. She demonstrates how Dorothy’s experiences in this magical land resemble the struggles inherent in Carl Jung’s individuation process, and shows how her journey can be seen as a metaphor for Joseph Campbell’s hero’s journey and the honoring of feminine
values. Examples from sandplay and play therapy case material, techniques, application and an experiential process to engage personally with the story are included to show how Oz imagery expresses issues that emerge during the journey home to wholeness.
- Participants will increase their understanding of symbolic language and how it is used therapeutically both through sandplay and play therapy.
- Participants will develop skills to use the metaphor of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as it applies to the hero’s journey and the individuation process in play therapy and sandplay.
- Participants will be able to identify feminine values in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and show how this influences psychological development and healing through a sandplay and play therapy lens.
OVERVIEW of SATURDAY SEMINAR
- The origins of the Wizard of Oz story
- The Hero’s Return: Life after Oz
- Retelling the tale as it was written
- Experiential process to explore personal insights from story
- The Symbolic imagery of Oz
- Oz imagery found in sandplay and play therapy material
- Discussion, Questions, Closure
MEET GITA MORENA
Gita Dorothy Morena, PhD, LMFT, CST-T is a Teaching Member of STA/ISST, an international seminar leader, and a licensed psychotherapist in private practice for over 40 years. She is the great grand-daughter of L. Frank Baum who created The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and brings the legacy of this universally beloved fairy tale into many aspects of her work. Dr. Morena is the author of The Wisdom of Oz: Reflections of a Jungian Sandplay Psychotherapist, and numerous articles about the clinical applications of sandplay therapy. As a Buddhist practitioner she focuses on bringing spiritual practice into everyday life through sandplay and meditation.