Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group (MSTG) is sponsoring "Deepening your Sandplay Practice: Working with the Symbol." Sandplay Therapy is an expressive therapy based on the work of Carl Jung and developed by Dora Kalff. The client uses a sandtray, water, and hundreds of miniature objects to create scenes, designs, and pictures that reflect the conscious and unconscious contents of the psyche. Through the sandplay process and the relationship with the therapist, the client can address traumatic events and access the healing power of the Self.
- ELLEN H. SAUL, MS, LP, CST-T is a psychologist who works with children, families, individuals and couples in a private practice in rural Minnesota. She is a teaching member of ISST and STA and has been using Sandplay since 1993 in her practice. She is using her experience in Sandplay to do process with therapists in Sandplay training and consultation. She enjoys teaching and sharing her enthusiasm for Sandplay. She has studied with Dr. Agnes Bayley and incorporates “In Touch Again” strategies in her therapeutic work. Her interest in Body, Mind, Spirit connections led her to complete studies and add work as a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner to her broad scope of multi-modal approaches to healing work. She has recently accepted a position on the STA Board, after ten years of active participation (as secretary and president) on the Board of the Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group (MSTG). She chaired the Program Committee for the STA National Conference in 2012.
- JUANITA MCCABE, MS, LPC, CSAC, SP is a Psychotherapist practicing in Wisconsin. She works with children and adults in her private practice in New Richmond, Wisconsin. She has been using sand in therapy since 1993 and has specifically been using Kalffian Sandplay in her practice since 2002. She uses a variety of techniques to in addition to Sandplay to enhance the effectiveness of therapy, specifically Expressive Therapies, Mindfulness Based Therapy and Ericksonian Hypnotherapy. Juanita is recognized by Sandplay Therapists of America as a Sandplay Practitioner. She has served as President of the Board of Directors of Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group.
The seminar participant will be able to describe:
- The symbol’s role in Sandplay.
- The importance of understanding the symbol.
- The role of the symbol in the co-transference. How to research a symbol.
- The role of the writing the symbol paper in the
- Date: April 23, 2016
- Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Seminar: Deepening your Sandplay Practice: Working with the Symbol
- Registration: 8:30am-9:00am
- Morning Session: 9:00am-12:00pm
- Check-in with Mindfulness exercise
- Choose your symbol
- Share your symbol and your first connection with it (off the cuff, or what you have written about it). Feedback
- Experiential – Connecting with your symbol - draw, sculpt, write a poem, collage, dialogue (perhaps dominant to non-dominant hand)
- Lunch (on your own): 12:00pm-1:00pm
- Afternoon Session: 1:00pm-4:00pm
- C J Jung - Connecting with his process, integrating into a symbol paper, questions & answers
- Read through the Preliminary Paper Guidelines and take a look at the right-brained version of those guidelines.
- Practical issues in a Sandplay practice; boundaries, problems, history with Sandplay application in practice. Come with your questions, ready for opportunities.
- Questions and Discussion
*There will be one morning and one afternoon break of fifteen minutes
Location of Seminar
Journeys Toward Healing Counseling Center, 915 S. Front Street, Mankato, MN 56001
Location Contact Information
Certificates of Attendance
Certificates of attendance will be available at the end of the program.
For More Information
If you have additional questions, contact: Justin D. Kruse, MSTG President: (507) 720-1320
Participants may register ONLINE or PAPER. If using paper registration, please in the registration form and payment to: Ellen Saul, 14781 Bagley Avenue, Faribault, MN 55021. Make checks payable to "Minnesota Sandplay Therapy Group" (MSTG):